And finally, you can view your Pressimus profile by clicking on your profile image, and selecting your profile, and you can customize your Pressimus settings by selecting settings.
Watch quick explainer video
Finish
X

Request Invitation




Submit
Close
Submit
X

Acknowledgements

X
Published in Stream:
Day 927: September 1, 2016
Press by
The Interpreter
@Interpreter_Mag
Russian-to-English translation journal, with original analysis and commentary on Russia's foreign & domestic policy.
Interpreter_Mag
The Ceasefire Appears To Have Held So Far, But Kiev Reports 1 Soldier KIA, 1 WIA Yesterday
5 years
Monument To Separatist Fighters Damaged By Blast In Lugansk

Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko says that the latest ceasefire in the Donbass, which came into effect at midnight, is holding.

Poroshenko was speaking at a meeting with students at the Kyiv Polytechnic Institute just after noon:

"After 12 hours and five minutes, I want to congratulate you, this regime is being adhered to. They're not shooting at the front. Throughout all this time there has been one, un-targeted small-arms shooting. No artillery salvoes, nor tank attacks nor mortars.

God grant us that the security components of the Minsk agreements are realised, God grant us that the ceasefire regime holds up, that the artillery and tanks are withdrawn. Better into Russian territory over the Ukrainian border. God grant us that the Ukrainian hostages, who are being illegally held in jails in the Russian Federation and in jails in the occupied territory, are freed. God grant that the Special Monitoring Mission of the OSCE is granted unfettered access in order to create all the necessary conditions for the implementation of the political packet of Minsk agreements."

Earlier this morning, the Ukrainian defense minister, Stepan Poltorak, told the 112 news channel that as of 9:00 am, there had not been a single attack in the Donbass since midnight.

Poltorak said that he was receiving updates on the situation on the front line every 15 minutes.

Meanwhile Eduard Basurin, deputy commander of the armed forces of the self-declared Donetsk People's Republic (DNR), said this morning that Ukrainian forces had adhered to the ceasefire after midnight.

In the other territory occupied by Russian-backed forces, the Lugansk "People's Police" claimed that there had been one attack by Ukrainian forces after midnight.

According to the report, at 00:48, Ukrainian troops fired on positions near the separatist-held village of Kalinovo, in the west of the region, with automatic grenade launchers.

The two reported attacks aside, the ceasefire did appear to take effect. We have seen no further reports of attacks after midnight in the usual hotspots on social media.

But the good news about the ceasefire was muted by the announcement that one Ukrainian soldier had been killed and another wounded yesterday.

Colonel Andriy Lysenko, military spokesman for the Presidential Administration, told reporters that the fatality had occurred during a nighttime skirmish outside the village of Bogdanovka, east of Volnovakha, while the other solider was wounded by mortar shelling near Avdeyevka, north of Donetsk.

According to the Ukrainian military, Russian-backed forces conducted 25 attacks yesterday.

-- Pierre Vaux