And finally, you can view your Pressimus profile by clicking on your profile image, and selecting your profile, and you can customize your Pressimus settings by selecting settings.
Watch quick explainer video
Finish
X

Request Invitation




Submit
Close
Submit
X

Acknowledgements

X
Published in Stream:
Day 715: February 2, 2016
Press by
The Interpreter
@Interpreter_Mag
Russian-to-English translation journal, with original analysis and commentary on Russia's foreign & domestic policy.
Interpreter_Mag
Ukraine Reports 56 Attacks Over 24 Hours; Zaytsevo Checkpoint To Be Closed
4 years
Fighting Reported North And West Of Donetsk This Morning
Pavel Gubarev Appointed 'Mayor' Of DNR-Held Yasinovataya

While Donetsk residents reported heavy fighting this morning, the Ukrainian military claimed that Russian-backed fighters had conducted 56 attacks over the previous 24 hours, as of 6 am today.

According to the ATO Press Centre, most fighting was centred around Donetsk and Gorlovka, with mortars, grenade launchers, heavy machine guns and small arms being used.


Colonel Oleksandr Motuzyanyk, a military press officer for the Presidential Administration, announced that two Ukrainian servicemen had been wounded.

As a result of the continued attacks on Zaytsevo, civilians will no longer, as of tomorrow, be able to pass through the checkpoint there. This prevents movement between separatist and Ukrainian-controlled territory in the area.

The move comes after both the Zaytsevo and Marinka crossings were targeted by Russian-backed fighters, with a volunteer doctor and a soldier wounded on Sunday.

In the south of the Donetsk region, Ukrainian troops were engaged in a battle northeast of Mariupol.

Military spokesman Aleksandr Kindsfater told the 112 television channel today that the skirmish had taken place outside the village of Pishchevik and lasted around an hour.

According to Kindsfater, a diversion and assault group of Russian-backed fighters approached the Ukrainian lines using woodland for cover before opening fire on an observation post with grenade launchers, small arms and sniper rifles. The attackers were eventually forced to withdraw, the spokesman said.

The last recorded attack in the Mariupol area, Kindsfater claimed, took place at around midnight.

Information Resistance, a Ukrainian independent military analysis group founded by MP Dmytro Tymchuk, reports further attacks in the south, with mortars allegedly used against positions near Sakhanka and Starognatovka, as well as the Lugansk region.

According to their report, automatic grenade launchers were used to attack positions east of Troitskoye, on the western fringes of the region, while 120 mm mortars were used near Stanitsa Luganskaya.

Meanwhile the 'defence ministry' of the self-declared Donetsk People's Republic (DNR) claims that Ukrainian forces shelled separatist-held territory 109 times over the last 24 hours.

According to the DNR, one woman was wounded as a result of the attacks, conducted with heavy mortars and grenade launchers on the outskirts of Gorlovka and Donetsk.

-- Pierre Vaux